Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Ask Pete the Pirate!

Best Response

Our Best Answer - What is the difference between in-state and out-of-state residency?


Establishing California residence requires both physical presence in California AND objective evidence that there is intent to make California your home for other than a temporary purpose. The one year and one day residence period does not begin until you are present in California AND have demonstrated clear intent to become a resident of California (California Administrative Code Title 5, Sections 54020 & 54028).

Students not meeting California residency requirements are required to pay a non-resident fee of $211 per unit and a Capital Outlay fee of $45 per unit in addition to the Resident fee of $46 per unit. All fees quoted are at time of publication and are subject to change without notice. The state legislature may increase enrollment fees at any time including current and future terms.For questions regarding California residency view our Residency page or email us at

Are you satisfied with your answer?